Here is a peak at what I've been up to lately. I've been feeling like I'm in a bit of a creative rut. I've had a tough time moving forward with this one; have several ideas, just can't make them come to life the way I'm seeing them in my head. That can get so frustrating!
This background was created using acrylic paint, scrap paper, a page from a book, and stamps on a canvas board.
Here I added the tree using torn pieces of magazine pages. I love the rough look it gives to the tree bark. Before it is finished, I will go back over it in places with some paint to tie it into the background a bit more.
I'm also feeling like I need to make time to just "play"; get out my art supplies and just see what happens. I've felt drawn back to my roots lately...throughout high school and college my focus was on watercolor and I haven't done anything in that medium in a long time. I'm wanting to get those out again and see what happens! What do you do when you feel you're in a creative rut or you are just having a hard time getting motivated?
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
- "The 12 Days Before _____ grade" or "The 12 Days of ____ grade": A take off on the 12 days of Christmas. Each night I put a surprise in my daughter's backpack. I've used books about starting school, fun school supplies, cute socks, hair accessories, stickers, etc.
- Our annual back to school shopping trip for school supplies. It is always so fun to pick out the new items needed for school. This year my daughter picked out a fun globe shaped pencil sharpener among other goodies!
- New backpack and lunch box! No surprise, this year we went with a Scooby Doo theme (her favorite!). We found a cute scooby book bag and the mystery machine lunch box!
- First day outfit! I always let my daughter pick out a special outfit for the first day of school (mom approved, of course!) This gets her excited and makes her feel included in all the preparation and decision making!
- Purchase a small gift for her new teacher and include a short note wishing her a great first day!
- I journal my thoughts for my child on their first day, hopes about her year, my feelings, etc.
- Have chocolate chip cookies for a special after school snack and talk about how her first day went.
- Have a school themed dinner with ABC pasta noodles.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
The Vertu art exhibit was such a wonderful, amazing experience! Just taking the leap and seeing what would happen if I submitted my work was a big step for me. To be blessed with having two of my pieces accepted to the show was more than I could have hoped for! I'm so glad I gathered up the courage to do it! I've felt God gently nudging me and can't deny the doors He is opening! I'm truly grateful to have been given this opportunity!
Here are the two paintings that were in the show:
Mixed Media by Jennifer Snellings
Mixed Media by Jennifer Snellings
When we arrived at the Artist's Showplace Gallery, it was already full of people. I couldn't believe how well the show was attended, especially with the yucky weather! I had several dear friends come to support me which meant the world to me! It was a wonderfully festive atmosphere with an amazing saxophonist, wine, and great company!
We browsed the show and of course found my artwork!!
The night was a huge success and an unbelievable experience! I'm so thankful to have been a part of it all and will definitely remember it always! :)